This is the economic and cultural centre of the East Bohemian Region.
The town centre was proclaimed a protected area and includes preserved
Gothic, Renaissance and baroque houses and arcades. Especially worth
noting is the triangular Zizka´s Square and the brick built early
Gothic Cathedral of the Holy Ghost from the 14th century which is
located in the town centre. The sandstone White Tower (Bila vez),
which contains the second largest bell in the Czech Republic, the
town hall next to it which includes two Renaissance Towers, and the
Town Museum building, which was built in the cubism style, rank among
the main attractions of the town.
This town is the seat of a number of universities, museums, galleries,
theatres and a conference centre. Noted architects Jan Kotera and
Josef Gocar have contributed to the modern appearance of the town.
A village and a peak (336 m above the sea level) of the same name
- Chlum - where the final battle between Prussia and Austria took
place on July 3, 1866, are located near Hradec Kralove. A look-out
tower, along with a restaurant, a new-Gothic ossuary and the museum,
which includes a monument of this battle, are located in a small park
on the peak of Chlum.